Comments

Please add comments below on anything of interest to senior travellers. You may wish to give your own travel tips, or maybe ask for travel advice. You may just want to make a comment, positive or negative, on one of our posts.

Type or paste your comment into the box below, then click on Post Comment.

1. Lindsay Cummings says:

Falkland Palace, located in central Fife, is a must, the gardens are amazingly beautiful, along with the grounds and palace. It should have a mention.

2. Hazel Glover says:

Just read with interest the Around the World in 80 Days: Stage 1 – India’s Golden Triangle.
    My husband and I are recently returned from the same tour though ours was slightly longer. (10 days). We had a great time and stayed in some wonderful hotels including the same one at Okhla mentioned in the article. It was I agree a great hotel with helpful staff and wonderful food though Okhla is not the best bit of Delhi. (Not the worst by any means either).
    Sights were wonderful, hotels, clean and comfey, food good and no we did not get ‘Delhi belly’. We also went to Ranthambore National Park where highlight of the whole trip, we saw close up a tiger in the wild. Worth every penny.

• Steve Hanson says:

Many thanks for your comment. I think we will return to India again in the not too distant future and will explore at a more leisurely pace, including the Ranthambore National Park.

3. Mr Keith Dong says:

I’m still undecided over either English Heritage or National Trust, on who to have membership with. My wife are seniors (60+ yrs) .
    Do we have free entry when we have membership also free car parking? Also if can we use both English Heritage and National Trust with whichever membership we buy?
    Thank you.

• Steve Hanson says:

Annual membership of English Heritage allows free entry to all their properties and free parking at almost all their properties, but not entry to National Trust properties. Likewise, annual membership of the National Trust allows free entry to all their properties and free parking at almost all their properties, but not entry to English heritage properties. To help you decide between the two, check out my article English Heritage versus National Trust – Which to join?

4. Jeannine Fowler says:

This is my first time visiting Senior Travel Expert, but it won’t be my last. I have a question about the deadline for the writing competition. It states “The closing date for entries is midnight UK time on Monday, July 31st, 2017.” So, is that the midnight between Sunday and Monday, or the one between Monday and Tuesday. My friends are no help as half of them say it’s Sun-Mon, and the others say it’s Mon-Tues. Arrgh! If I do enter, I plan on entering well in advance to avoid this issue, but it is something I’d like to know. Thank you in advance.

5. Alan Clare says:

Machu Picchu, Peru and Bolivia for Older Travellers

Thought it maybe helpful for people to know that even at 62 and pending an ankle fusion, Machu Picchu and travelling around Peru and Bolivia is doable.

I travelled with three bus companies and a ferry across Titicaca. Lima and Cusco are well provided for with grab rails and such like and although old La Paz is not without challenge, courtesy and consideration was very evident.

The PeruRail Vistadome train journey to Machu Picchu is comfortable and a delight. It’s a few steps down from the station, but buses to Machu Picchu are all manageable. On entering the site it’s a case of turn right not left at the sign to the guardhouse and then taking your time following the whole of the lower terraces of the city. Okay you’ll not get to the top of the Machu Picchu Mountain but it’s all in proportion.

My anxiety about spoiling the holiday for my friends wasn’t warranted.

• Steve Hanson says:

Quite a coincidence that your Comment about travelling to Machu Picchu arrived a day before I posted the article about my intended visit there! Many thanks. Your comments are certainly very useful to me and I expect will be to other readers who might be concerned about travelling to Peru and Bolivia.

6. Jay says:

Rail Travel Discounts
    Your list of countries is missing Slovakia. They too have a free train travel for EU citizens over 65. Valid now, must bring a photo and fill in a form at the first Slovakian train station to receive a free i.d.card. With this card also have to “buy” free train tickets before a trip. Please check on that and add that info to your article.

Please put dates/year on your articles, so we can tell if it is still reasonably recent – especially discounts. You are doing a great job, thank you.

• Steve Hanson says:

Thanks Jay for your very helpful comments. I have now checked and found that Slovakia introduced free travel for seniors over 62 in November 2014, so I have added this to the post. I’ve also added the date it was updated.

7. Ayesha Attique says:

Off the Beaten Track Writing Competition – Results
    I’m really happy to have written an article for such an excellent competition. I really enjoyed reading the winning articles but one thing puzzles me. Both the articles exceeded the word limit by nearly 300 words! I would appreciate if someone can enlighten me why this was so? Thankyou so much.

• Steve Hanson says:

I’m pleased you enjoyed reading the two winning entries. With respect to the length of the articles, both as submitted were slightly less than the 750 words maximum. If you check, you will find that one of the two winning articles is still less than 750 words (excluding of course heading, footer and picture legends), the other is about 20 words more as a result of our editing before publication.

8. Jamil Mostacho says:

Off the Beaten Track Writing Competition – Results
    Congratulations to all the winners, 🙂 I’m still happy to at least have tried writing one and thanks to STE for the chance to join ^_^ I hope I can make an acceptable piece the next time 🙂 bless you and more power.

9. David Fuller says:

Thomson Cruises: Pros and Cons
    Re charges for wi-fi. Sure, I like free wifi, but it costs a lot more to provide wifi on a ship than it does in a fixed location on land, so your comparison is not really valid.

• Steve Hanson says:

A good point to make, however aircraft wi-fi uses the same satellite technology, but charges for users are very much less and on some airlines nothing at all. The largest cruise company, Carnival, has dramatically cut its wi-fi charges and others are gradually following suit.

10. Paola Fornari says:

For a travel piece to shine, it needs excellent writing, a good story, and an original angle. It doesn’t need to make you want to have a similar experience (scrubbing decks in the middle of a freezing cold night? No way!) but it must transport you there through all your senses. In this competition, Celebrations, Solitude and the Sea stands out for me … The imagery is powerful and original (‘tangos of colour’, ‘the ship pitched and bucked’), and it is so, so much more than ‘and then we did this and then we did that’. Well done, Celia, for this great account…keep writing!

11. Linda Tyler says:

Celebrations, Solitude and the Sea by Celia Timms should surely have been the winner. A beautifully-written account of a thrilling experience.

• Steve Hanson says:

All ten Runner-up entries would have made worthy winners. Hence the Judging Committee had a difficult job in making their winning selections.

12. Carolyn Ward says:

Begin at Bamburgh Castle is beautifully written and makes you feel like you are right there walking the sands. A detailed insight into how to enjoy the place, and I liked the continual hints to slow down and breathe the place in. Well done.

13. Michael Cusack says:

Sailing Across the Andes by Marion Brennan was an inspiring piece that will guide my future trip to Chile and Argentina!

14. Carolyn Ward says:

Travelling with grandchildren was an excellent piece – very thorough. As a mum of three I’ve never taken them abroad, but will bookmark that article for tips.