As Seniors, probably partly or fully retired, there is more time available to get away for a few days’ break. Also, because we are not tied to work schedules, we can book discounted off-peak travel, for example, mid-week air and ferry fares are often much cheaper.
On this site I will let you know about some places I’ve most enjoyed visiting on short breaks and, of course, information on Senior discounts and other deals.
I’ll also include some guest articles, for example, from notable travel writing competition entries.
UK Short Breaks
- Birmingham’s Two Botanic Gardens A Victorian Garden and an Edwardian Garden, close to the city centre
- Helmsley and Rievaulx Abbey A Norman Castle and a Cistercian Abbey
- Isle of Wight With a visit to Osborne House
- Liverpool and Southport Regenerated dockland and traditional seaside resort
- Newcastle upon Tyne A vibrant city centre with attractive scenery nearby
- Peterborough and the Nene Valley Norman cathedral, steam railway and Nene Park
- Saffron Walden and Audley End Attractive rural town and Jacobean House with walled garden
- Scarborough and Whitby Traditional seaside resorts with important heritage sites
- York Ancient, haunted ale houses amid historic streets and buildings
Europe Short Breaks
- Madrid, Spain Palaces, Parks and Paseos in November
- Heidelberg, Germany Pink, sandstone Castle and Baroque Old Town
- Koblenz, Germany Where the Moselle meets the Rhine
- Frankfurt, Germany A palm garden in the middle of skyscrapers
- Nuremberg, Germany Interesting buildings and restaurants
- Munich, Germany Palaces and parks
- Rome, Italy A long weekend in autumn
- Český Krumlov, Czech Republic Historic castle overlooking meandering river
- Salzburg, Austria Not just Mozart, Sound of Music and tourists
- Linz, Austria Austria’s forgotten city on the Danube
- Lake Bled, Slovenia Impressive scenery, even in autumn
- Southern Istria, Croatia Roman, Italian and Yugoslavian heritage
- Zagreb, Croatia A new European capital developing its own identity
- Belgrade, Serbia Visit before the tourists arrive
- Istanbul, Turkey Astride two continents with history and belly-dancing
Long Haul Short Breaks
- New York Exhilarating even in winter at -10C
Following soon: Anglesey, Passau, Lisbon and many more places. See also: Top Ten Value-for-Money Short Break Cities in Europe.