Comments

Please add comments below on anything of interest to senior travellers. You may wish to give your own travel tips, or maybe ask for travel advice. You may just want to make a comment, positive or negative, on one of our posts.

Type or paste your comment into the box below, then click on Post Comment.

53 Comments

1. Maraboustork
    14 January 2019 @ 6:20 pm

We bought a National Trust membership last year but hardly used it as there were very few sites in Suffolk where we live so it was a waste of money. We were not told when we bought our membership that there were winter closures either.
    The cost of membership now to English Heritage or National Trust is expensive when you consider winter closures and what time of year you buy.
    We will save our pennies for a rainy day and our Alfred Munnings House/Museum membership which is a very reasonable price with restricted visiting hours but so well worth it when you do and very friendly.

2. Tracey
    30 August 2018 @ 6:21 pm

I loved this, when we were children back in the mid 60’s and Spain was a far off land of mystery, my parents used to load us into the car, drive from Cheshire to one of the south coast ports then spend up to 6 weeks driving through France and Spain avoiding the tourist regions, northern Spain was a favourite of my fathers having served in the navy and docked in many of the ports, now my children are grown and flown the nest I’d love to recreate it

3. Anne
    16 July 2018 @ 9:33 pm

Hi. I am not sure that I am at the right place but I like the feeling of this website and wonder if I may ask some advice about Edinburgh and around? I will be visiting Edinburgh at the beginning of September and would love to visit some castles or houses. I have already visited this beautiful town a few times, and took a Jacobite tour which included Upton House, Lilinthgow Palace, Blackness Castle, Culross palace and Calendar House. Can someone recommend other places or organized tours?
    Before going to Scotland I will spent a few days in London and would also love to visit something different from the usual sights. Thank you in advance for any information and tips.

16 July 2018 @ 9:34 pm

Good to hear from you Anne. I try to visit Edinburgh at least once a year and the always include the Royal Botanic Garden. Some other places I like to visit are included in my Edinburgh – Top Ten City. A fascinating house about 15 miles west of Edinburgh is the House of Binns. I don’t visit London so often but you might get some ideas from my London – Top Ten City article.

4. jacqueline dowling
    8 June 2018 @ 8:40 am

Hello Steve and Anne

This is not to do with travel comments per se, but I do enjoy following people’s experiences, likes and dislikes from the furthest end of Africa.

My daughter kindly entered two pieces in your current Heritage Writing Competition for me since my computer is ailing. She wasn’t, however, able to attach the photos. Is there any way I can try again from my side, maybe as a separate email?
    Kind regards Jacqueline Dowling

8 June 2018 @ 11:16 am

Many thanks for your entries to our competition. With regard to photos, we ask winners and runners-up to supply photos if they have any after the competition has been judged, but it is not part of the competition. We don’t wish to put off people who don’t have photos from entering what is essentially a writing competition.

• jacqueline dowling
        9 June 2018 @ 2:00 pm

Thanks Steve – that’s a relief!

Best regards.

Jacqueline

5. Margaret Ward
    13 April 2018 @ 3:23 pm

Love Escape from Tunbridge Wells Carolyn. Makes you think maybe elderly people should consider a hotel in a warm country rather than a home for the elderly in Britain.

• Carolyn Ward
      15 April 2018 @ 6:26 pm

Thanks Margaret! There’d be a lot more early retirement…

6. Celia
    29 March 2018 @ 9:12 am

Reading Up Hill and Down Dale inspires me to brush off that Dales Way guidebook and actually do it! Thanks girls.

7. Carolyn Ward
    28 March 2018 @ 9:58 am

Flying Grandma spends Christmas in Argentina is a fantastic piece! Loved the writing, enjoyed the imagery and in a short word count it spelled out the exotic differences to give a real taste of Argentina. Brilliant.

• Celia
      29 March 2018 @ 9:07 am

Thanks, Carolyn – so nice to have feedback. The trip was a huge challenge for flying grandma, we’re so proud of her. But Argentina is the other star of the piece – such a wonderful place for an adventure. I left a piece of my heart there.

8. Samantha Minnifee
    9 February 2018 @ 12:11 pm

My name is Samantha Minnifee. I lost my father 5 years ago, he lived in the UK and the returned to his home country in Jamaica. We use to visit particular locations that he enjoyed visiting. I have been spending a lot of time in Jamaica and have visited some of the places i use to visit with my dad. I inherited his house with 14 acres of land in rural Jamaica. I decided to create an accommodation dedicated to senior citizens caring for all their short term needs whilst they are on vacation. I believe there is a shortage of quality service in this area which i have identified. If any one is interesting in visiting Jamaica and exploring the Island as well as having a relaxing holiday then contact me and i will be happy to assist. I have advertised the property on TripAdvisorRentals.
    Have a great vacation, wherever you choose you location to be.

(Please see post on STE about a Holiday in Jamaica. If interested in Samantha’s accommodation, please get in touch via: seniortravelexpert@gmail.com)

9. Carolyn Ward
    29 November 2017 @ 10:29 am

I loved the piece on Dark Tourism! What an exciting concept for those who want more than a beach… some of these experiences would be very memorable!

10. Astrid
    26 November 2017 @ 9:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

Very new here and don’t fall into the over 55 category, but I’m hoping you can give some advice. My partner’s 74 year old nan lost her husband middle of last year and although she has an active life within the local WI she mentioned that she would like to travel, but the only person she would want to go with is afraid of just about every mode of transport and nor does her friend want to be away from home for longer than two days; a caravan is the preferred “hotel” choice. His nan feels rather alone, but she she still has some fight in her and I know would want to see a bit of the world, but know she was safe.

Which brings me to my question, do you know of any trips that’s arranged for solo seniors to travel together to maybe Spain for a weekend or longer? She has a sister in America that she would love to visit, but she’s afraid of the airport experience and the journey but I think if she’s with a group of people her own age, experiencing it together, it’ll help her get over the fear for when she travels on her own one day?

29 November 2017 @ 9:50 pm

There are several companies that provide travel for senior singles, but bearing in mind what you have said about your partner’s nan, including about knowing she is safe, then Saga Holidays Single’s programme would be a good place to start.

If you click on Saga Holidays then scroll down you will come to Single holidays, where you will find information on holidays in the UK, Europe and world-wide. They point out that over a fifth of their customers travel on solo holidays. Hope that helps.

11. Mrs G Keep
    16 November 2017 @ 5:46 pm

As a 74 year old non driver who has no husband or grandchildren I find £60+ an exorbitant price per annum to join the National Trust. I feel single pensioners are subsidizing car driving families.

12. Sue Treadaway
    5 November 2017 @ 4:45 pm

We recently bought a National Trust membership for days out during winter months and were very disappointed to find most of the properties are closed now.
    They say it is for conservation and cleaning but I worked in a museum of huge historical art and artefacts with a large footfall and never closed except Xmas Day Bank hol and Good Friday.
    We were not told this when we signed up. The membership is one of the expensive ones and we feel stupid.

5 November 2017 @ 10:21 pm

Coincidently I have just updated my article English Heritage and the National Trust – Winter openings which looks at this disappointing aspect of English Heritage as well as the National Trust.
      It’s not so bad if you are interested in visiting gardens and parkland, rather than the actual houses, and the situation is gradually improving with some National Trust houses now being open throughout the year, as mentioned in this article.
      The National Trust for Scotland is much better in this regard, but that’s not much good if you live in the South of England.

• Sue Treadaway
        6 November 2017 @ 9:20 am

Many thanks for your response and the detailed informative article you provided.
        I wish I had known of your website first but it is usually when you are disappointed you look for other ‘related’ experiences.
        Anyway a very long time ago we bought an English Heritage annual family membership and had some of the best days out with our children visiting Castles and re-enactments in Suffolk and Norfolk. Such fun.
        It was also when the Tower of London was included and it was worth every penny in terms of happy memories…we do have annual RSPB membership and Suffolk Wildlife both of which we enjoy immensely for the walks, the wildlife and more especially Suffolk Wildlife reserves for the friendliness of other visitors. Lots of them have amenities, cafes and loos.
        RSPB Titchwell, Norfolk is a favourite destination.
        For some it is a long walk to the wide sandy beach where you can see wading birds and seals often in the creeks.
        They built a new hide some years ago closer to the beach and it would have been a savvy idea to have included basic loo facilities for anyone (any age and ability) not able to ‘run’ back to the reserve facilities.
        Just a thought.
        Happy days everyone.

13. Carolyn Ward
    21 September 2017 @ 9:57 am

Travel for Seniors Writing Competition – Winners and Runners-up
    The joint winners of the Senior Travel competition are both fantastic! I love the descriptions of the desert in Chile, and the insight into group travel. I would love to visit some of those places! Well done to them both.

• Leonie Crowden
      21 September 2017 @ 11:23 pm

Thanks for your comments, Carolyn. I hope you do get to travel to the Atacama Desert one day!

• Lindsay Bamfield
      22 September 2017 @ 7:39 am

Thanks for the comment, Carolyn. Always nice to receive feedback. I too loved Leonie’s piece about Chile, and now have another want-to-go-to place on my list! Maybe with a group!

14. SAJ Bradley
    7 September 2017 @ 9:14 pm

Holy Island, Lindisfarne – Off the Beaten Track
    Just for info … the depicted statue in the Priory ruins on Holy Island is not of Cuthbert, as indicated in your caption, but of Aidan.

7 September 2017 @ 10:35 pm

Oops! Many thanks for pointing it out. Have now corrected the caption and clarified the text with regard to St Aidan and St Cuthbert.

15. Dale Mead
    4 August 2017 @ 8:15 pm

After an eye-opening, truncated Airbnb stay since my wife broke her hip, I’m googling for senior advice that seems to have been overlooked. It didn’t occur to us, and the reservation site doesn’t cover it, but the tub/shower didn’t have grab bars, making it too risky for her to use, including climbing into and out of the tub. Can you provide travel tips for seniors with balance problems?

8 August 2017 @ 12:15 pm

Thank you for your comment. You mention a problem that I have come across, particularly in small hotels and other accommodation. In general I find larger hotels tend to have suitable rooms, provided you inform them in advance. But with all accommodation it is always best to check in advance, maybe asking for photos if unclear whether suitable. I will watch out for suitable articles which deal with the subject. The posting Safety Tips for Senior Travellers – News Report covers many aspects of safety for senior travellers, but not the specific aspect you mention.

16. Lindsay Cummings
    5 May 2017 @ 11:02 am

Falkland Palace, located in central Fife, is a must, the gardens are amazingly beautiful, along with the grounds and palace. It should have a mention.

17. Hazel Glover
    10 April 2017 @ 2:52 pm

Just read with interest the Around the World in 80 Days: Stage 1 – India’s Golden Triangle.
    My husband and I are recently returned from the same tour though ours was slightly longer. (10 days). We had a great time and stayed in some wonderful hotels including the same one at Okhla mentioned in the article. It was I agree a great hotel with helpful staff and wonderful food though Okhla is not the best bit of Delhi. (Not the worst by any means either).
    Sights were wonderful, hotels, clean and comfey, food good and no we did not get ‘Delhi belly’. We also went to Ranthambore National Park where highlight of the whole trip, we saw close up a tiger in the wild. Worth every penny.

10 April 2017 @ 4:21 pm

Many thanks for your comment. I think we will return to India again in the not too distant future and will explore at a more leisurely pace, including the Ranthambore National Park.

18. Mr Keith Dong
    1 March 2017 @ 2:50 pm

I’m still undecided over either English Heritage or National Trust, on who to have membership with. My wife are seniors (60+ yrs) .
    Do we have free entry when we have membership also free car parking? Also if can we use both English Heritage and National Trust with whichever membership we buy?
    Thank you.

2 March 2017 @ 11:35 am

Annual membership of English Heritage allows free entry to all their properties and free parking at almost all their properties, but not entry to National Trust properties. Likewise, annual membership of the National Trust allows free entry to all their properties and free parking at almost all their properties, but not entry to English heritage properties. To help you decide between the two, check out my article English Heritage versus National Trust – Which to join?

19. Jeannine Fowler
    14 February 2017 @ 5:40 pm

This is my first time visiting Senior Travel Expert, but it won’t be my last. I have a question about the deadline for the writing competition. It states “The closing date for entries is midnight UK time on Monday, July 31st, 2017.” So, is that the midnight between Sunday and Monday, or the one between Monday and Tuesday. My friends are no help as half of them say it’s Sun-Mon, and the others say it’s Mon-Tues. Arrgh! If I do enter, I plan on entering well in advance to avoid this issue, but it is something I’d like to know. Thank you in advance.

16 February 2017 @ 10:34 am

Thanks Jeannine – A good point! I’ve now changed it to 11.59 pm. We look forward to your competition entry.

20. Alan Clare
    22 January 2017 @ 3:52 pm

Machu Picchu, Peru and Bolivia for Older Travellers

Thought it maybe helpful for people to know that even at 62 and pending an ankle fusion, Machu Picchu and travelling around Peru and Bolivia is doable.

I travelled with three bus companies and a ferry across Titicaca. Lima and Cusco are well provided for with grab rails and such like and although old La Paz is not without challenge, courtesy and consideration was very evident.

The PeruRail Vistadome train journey to Machu Picchu is comfortable and a delight. It’s a few steps down from the station, but buses to Machu Picchu are all manageable. On entering the site it’s a case of turn right not left at the sign to the guardhouse and then taking your time following the whole of the lower terraces of the city. Okay you’ll not get to the top of the Machu Picchu Mountain but it’s all in proportion.

My anxiety about spoiling the holiday for my friends wasn’t warranted.

23 January 2017 @ 3:04 pm

Quite a coincidence that your Comment about travelling to Machu Picchu arrived a day before I posted the article about my intended visit there! Many thanks. Your comments are certainly very useful to me and I expect will be to other readers who might be concerned about travelling to Peru and Bolivia.

21. Jay
    6 December 2016 @ 9:43 am

Rail Travel Discounts
    Your list of countries is missing Slovakia. They too have a free train travel for EU citizens over 65. Valid now, must bring a photo and fill in a form at the first Slovakian train station to receive a free i.d.card. With this card also have to “buy” free train tickets before a trip. Please check on that and add that info to your article.

Please put dates/year on your articles, so we can tell if it is still reasonably recent – especially discounts. You are doing a great job, thank you.

9 December 2016 @ 1:58 am

Thanks Jay for your very helpful comments. I have now checked and found that Slovakia introduced free travel for seniors over 62 in November 2014, so I have added this to the post. I’ve also added the date it was updated.

22. Ayesha Attique
    14 November 2016 @ 3:23 pm

Off the Beaten Track Writing Competition – Results
    I’m really happy to have written an article for such an excellent competition. I really enjoyed reading the winning articles but one thing puzzles me. Both the articles exceeded the word limit by nearly 300 words! I would appreciate if someone can enlighten me why this was so? Thankyou so much.

15 November 2016 @ 4:12 pm

I’m pleased you enjoyed reading the two winning entries. With respect to the length of the articles, both as submitted were slightly less than the 750 words maximum. If you check, you will find that one of the two winning articles is still less than 750 words (excluding of course heading, footer and picture legends), the other is about 20 words more as a result of our editing before publication.

23. Jamil Mostacho
    29 October 2016 @ 9:19 am

Off the Beaten Track Writing Competition – Results
    Congratulations to all the winners, 🙂 I’m still happy to at least have tried writing one and thanks to STE for the chance to join ^_^ I hope I can make an acceptable piece the next time 🙂 bless you and more power.

24. David Fuller
    22 August 2016 @ 7:16 pm

Thomson Cruises: Pros and Cons
    Re charges for wi-fi. Sure, I like free wifi, but it costs a lot more to provide wifi on a ship than it does in a fixed location on land, so your comparison is not really valid.

24 August 2016 @ 12:56 am

A good point to make, however aircraft wi-fi uses the same satellite technology, but charges for users are very much less and on some airlines nothing at all. The largest cruise company, Carnival, has dramatically cut its wi-fi charges and others are gradually following suit.

25. Paola Fornari
    4 May 2016 @ 7:15 am

For a travel piece to shine, it needs excellent writing, a good story, and an original angle. It doesn’t need to make you want to have a similar experience (scrubbing decks in the middle of a freezing cold night? No way!) but it must transport you there through all your senses. In this competition, Celebrations, Solitude and the Sea stands out for me … The imagery is powerful and original (‘tangos of colour’, ‘the ship pitched and bucked’), and it is so, so much more than ‘and then we did this and then we did that’. Well done, Celia, for this great account…keep writing!

26. Linda Tyler
    3 May 2016 @ 3:55 pm

Celebrations, Solitude and the Sea by Celia Timms should surely have been the winner. A beautifully-written account of a thrilling experience.

3 May 2016 @ 7:21 pm

All ten Runner-up entries would have made worthy winners. Hence the Judging Committee had a difficult job in making their winning selections.

27. Carolyn Ward
    3 May 2016 @ 12:36 pm

Begin at Bamburgh Castle is beautifully written and makes you feel like you are right there walking the sands. A detailed insight into how to enjoy the place, and I liked the continual hints to slow down and breathe the place in. Well done.

28. Michael Cusack
    12 April 2016 @ 10:31 am

Sailing Across the Andes by Marion Brennan was an inspiring piece that will guide my future trip to Chile and Argentina!

29. Carolyn Ward
    25 January 2016 @ 7:41 pm

Travelling with grandchildren was an excellent piece – very thorough. As a mum of three I’ve never taken them abroad, but will bookmark that article for tips.