Maybe you just decided to go to somewhere a little way off the normal tourist routes or maybe you just got lost! But you find yourself in a place that makes all the effort involved in travelling worthwhile – a real travel gem. That’s what Off the Beaten Track is all about!
But that’s the beauty of being a Senior, you have the freedom to go where you want without worrying about whether you have used up all your annual holiday allocation.
The list below will gradually increase as I continue to travel the world and venture off down back-roads just to see what’s there!
- Brodsworth and Cusworth Halls Victorian and Georgian houses and gardens.
- Knaresborough, Nidderdale, England A picturesque town with an ancient petrifying well.
- Holy Island, Lindisfarne, England A castle and a priory with mead and good coffee
- Central Portugal Back to nature near Fátima and Tomar
- Berchtesgaden and the Eagle’s Nest Picturesque Alpine scenery and World War II remnants
- Kutná Hora, Czech Republic An ossuary with human bone decorations and picturesque churches.
- Eger, Hungary Has much more to offer the visitor than Egri Bikavér, Bull’s Blood red wine.
- Mohács, Hungary A sleepy Danube port with an interesting history and an excellent hotel.
- Budva, Montenegro Visit before the tourists arrive.
- Key West, Florida, USA The most southerly point of the USA with Hemingway’s favourite bar.
- Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay A place where time has stood still.
- Mount Gambier, South Australia With it’s unusual blue lake and sunken sinkhole garden.