As Seniors, probably partly or fully retired, there is more time available to get away for a few days’ break. Also, because we are not tied to work schedules, we can book discounted off-peak travel, for example, mid-week air and ferry fares are often much cheaper.
On this site I will let you know about some places I’ve most enjoyed visiting on short breaks and, of course, information on Senior discounts and other deals.
I’ll also include some guest articles, for example, from notable travel writing competition entries.
UK Short Breaks
- Birmingham’s Two Botanic Gardens A Victorian Garden and an Edwardian Garden, close to the city centre
- Helmsley and Rievaulx Abbey A Norman Castle and a Cistercian Abbey
- Isle of Wight With a visit to Osborne House
- Liverpool A fascinating short break – despite the weather!
- Liverpool and Southport Regenerated dockland and traditional seaside resort
- Newcastle upon Tyne A vibrant city centre with attractive scenery nearby
- Peterborough and the Nene Valley Norman cathedral, steam railway and Nene Park
- Saffron Walden and Audley End Attractive rural town and Jacobean House with walled garden
- Scarborough and Whitby Traditional seaside resorts with important heritage sites
- York Ancient, haunted ale houses amid historic streets and buildings
- Warrenpoint From Narnia to the Game of Thrones
Europe Short Breaks
- Belgrade, Serbia Visit before the tourists arrive
- Budapest, Hungary Fine buildings beside the mighty Danube
- Český Krumlov, Czech Republic Historic castle overlooking meandering river
- Dortmund, Germany Two botanic gardens and a football stadium
- Eastern Karelia, Finland Castles, caverns and lots of water
- Frankfurt, Germany A palm garden in the middle of skyscraper
- Heidelberg, Germany Pink, sandstone Castle and Baroque Old Town
- Istanbul, Turkey Astride two continents with history and belly-dancing
- Koblenz, Germany Where the Moselle meets the Rhine
- Lake Bled, Slovenia Impressive scenery, even in autumn
- Linz, Austria Austria’s forgotten city on the Danube
- Madrid, Spain Palaces, parks and paseos in November
- Munich, Germany Palaces and parks
- Nuremberg, Germany Interesting buildings and restaurants
- Pompeii and Herculaneum, Italy Roman Life in 79 AD
- Rome, Italy A long weekend in autumn
- Salzburg, Austria Not just Mozart, Sound of Music and tourists
- Southern Istria, Croatia Roman, Italian and Yugoslavian heritage
- Tenerife and La Gomera Far from the madding crowd?
- Zagreb, Croatia A new European capital developing its own identity
Long Haul Short Breaks