Ok, so we may be Senior in years, but that doesn’t mean we’ve lost our abilities to organise – many of us have spent the last 30-40 years or so doing just that in our working lives!
So forget being shepherded by Saga and the like, we can organise our own long holidays, and if retired or semi-retired, we have more time to do so.
So choose where you would like to visit (go on, be bold!), then how to get there, how to travel around when you get there and where to stay. Yes I am talking ‘Touring Holidays’.
Senior Travel Expert will help you with all aspects of planning and enjoying long breaks, whilst pointing out the special discounts that can be obtained by those of more advanced years.
To give you some ideas I will post details of some of my more recent self-planned touring holidays, including three round the world trips, plus some of those undertaken by my fellow editors.
European Touring Holidays
- Portugal – Palaces, Pousadas and Port Wine Sun and scenery
- Tour of Northern Spain: Bilboa, Pamplona, León, Gijón, Picos de Europa Coastal towns and cities and a striking mountain range
- Valencia to Bilbao via Zaragoza – Cathedrals, Castles and Modern Architecture From Roman sites to ultra-modern buildings
- A Leisurely Tour of NE Spain: Catalonia, Aragon and Valencia Mediterranean coast and dramatic inland scenery
- Central Spain: Segovia and Toledo Snowy mountain roads, castles and cathedrals
- Southern Spain, Alicante to Granada Moorish splendour and snow-capped mountains
- Andalusia Touring Holiday – Malaga, Ronda, Seville, Cordoba Cathedrals, palaces and bridges
- Andalusia in April – Driving Holiday in Southern Spain Magnificent cities and scenery plus senior discounts (Article by STE’s Holiday Editor, Tony Taylor)
- Four Scenic Drives in Mallorca Pleasures and prcticalities of touring the island by car (Article by STE’s Holiday Editor, Tony Taylor)
- Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Capri – Following Byron and Gracie Fields Magnificent coastal scenery
- Sicily Touring Holiday Great archaeological sites, Mt Etna and out of season prices, covered in four posts
- Malta in December – Sun, sea and seasonal discounts Winter sun and no crowds
- Lake Balaton, Hungary Highlights from touring around Lake Balaton by car, train or cycle, passing vineyards and extinct volcanic peaks
- Poland Driving Tour: Warsaw, Kraków and Białystok A short break visiting three of Poland’s finest cities
- Driving In the Baltic States from Vilnius via Riga to Tallinn The countryside may be uninspiring but the capital cities make the journey well worthwhile
Rest of World Touring Holidays
- The Garden Route, South Africa – Top Ten Road Journey Superb coastal scenery plus unique flora
- Florida It’s not all theme parks
- Memphis to Las Vegas via Houston Taking in New Orleans, Sedona, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon along the way
- San Francisco, Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas Cities, coastline and canyons
Round the World Tours
- Round the World in 30 days Hong Kong, Fiji, New Zealand, Vancouver, Seattle and Iceland
- Round the World in 40 days India, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Peru and the USA
- Round the World in 50 days Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina and Brazil