The Heritage Writing Competition closed on October 31st. Well over 100 entries were received, of which the vast majority were of publishable standard. About 10% of the entries were fictional. Our thanks to everyone who entered.
After much consideration, the Judging Panel, chaired by STE’s Competition Editor Anne Esser, chose two entries as Joint Winners. Each entrant will receive half of the £100 competition prize.
Ten Runners-up will each receive a £10 Amazon UK voucher.
The winning and runner-up entries will be published on the STE website over the next few weeks.
In recognition of the high number of good quality entries, the Judging Panel decided that fifteen additional entries that were short-listed, but not finally chosen as winners or runners-up, should be listed as Highly Commended.
- A Palace in South Korea: Stepping Back in Time by Cherie Mitchell
- The Black Lion Guarding Staffordshire’s Heritage by Julia Thorley
- All Aboard! The Isle of Man Steam Railway by Caroline Smith
- Along the Corinth Canal by Garry Ahern
- Castell Ystumllwynarth (Oystermouth Castle, Mumbles) by Jane Critchley (Fictional)
- Heritage on your Doorstep by Pauline Murawska
- How to live like a Maharaja in Bhanwar Vilas Palace by Sarah Owens
- Marseille: A Heady Mélange of Cultures and Sights by Alex Drobniewski
- The Bug Ride by Carolyn Ward (Fictional)
- The Spirit of Apulia: Polignano a Mare, Alberobello and Matera by Desiree Kendrick
- The Victorian Falls Bridge by Tricia Fairclough
- Waking the Dead by Janet Rogers
- A Small Corner of Sicily by Julie Hall
- Bedfordshire – County of the Reformers by Deryn van der Tang
- Cromwell, Martyrs and Plot by Denise Bayes
- Experiencing Ahmedabad – India’s First World Heritage City by Humera Ahmed
- Gallivanting in the Galapagos by Leonie Crowden
- Hometown History by Celia Dillow
- In Search of Guidance by Moira Ashley
- Kirstenbosch – One of the Greatest Gardens on Earth by Pixie Emslie
- Queluz and Mafra – Portuguese Palaces Without The Crowds by Sarah Wilson
- Royal Road Trip by Ellen Evers
- Singapore: Traversing the Gateway to Asia by Sara Hodgkinson
- Symi Sponges by Anna O’Callaghan
- The Red City’s Green Heritage by Lee Peter Ruddin
- Uzbekistan – A Mystical Silk Route Destination by Anuradha Ganapathy
- Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland by Ann Rhodes
Posted 10th DECEMBER 2018 by STEVE HANSON on behalf of the Writing Competition Judging Panel.