The results of the Off the Beaten Track writing competition have now also been posted.
The Travel & Water Writing Competition closed on December 31st, 2015. Over 100 entries were received, most of which were of publishable standard. Our thanks to everyone who entered.
The competition Terms and Conditions indicated that: The winning entry will be the one that is judged to most effectively persuade readers of the Senior Travel Expert website that they would like to emulate the travel experience described!
The high standard of entries meant that judging was very difficult. After much consideration, the Judging Panel, chaired by our Writing Competition Editor, Anne Esser, chose two entries as Joint Winners. Each entrant receives half of the £100 competition prize.
Ten Highly Commended Runners-up each receive a £10 firstwriter.com subscription voucher.
These entries will be published on the STE website over the next few weeks, starting with the winning entries.
The Joint Winners
Highly Commended Runners-up
- Celebrations, Solitude and the Sea by Celia Timms
- In China, Anything is Possible by Lorna Flanagan
- Island of the Dead – Spinalonga by Ellen Evers
- Living the Dream on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal by Julie Noble
- Malacca’s Watery Past by Justin Miller
- Passage Through Panama by Rosemary Gemmell
- Stockfish and Chips Anyone? Journey up the Norwegian Coast by Jane Critchley
- Swimming Lake Bled, Slovenia by Diane Inglis
- That Little Yellow House on Hardanger Fjord by Julie Hall
- The Canals of Venice by Hugh Tucker
Highly Commended Entry
- Homage to Sherlock Holmes on a Swiss Railway Journey by Linda Tyler
Posted 28th January 2016 by Steve Hanson on behalf of Anne Esser, Chair of the Judging Panel